Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Not your typical Tuesday

G. Spinach had two workdays on Tuesday...

yep, on top of 1.6 hours revising an insurance brokerage agreement and begging to get off the phone to spend time on more exciting things, there were 6.1 hours preparing for and attending a three-ring circus hearing where opposing counsel tried to claim he represented the pro se parties in the case, kept trying to claim the role of Petitioner (though that was my client), and had a very odd line of questioning about how my client came to be referred to me (by a non-T&E type lawyer). I can't wait to get the transcript of this one, and annotate it with the judge's body language, which varied from "talk to the hand" to "face-in-hands pucker-up."

The end result was the right one, which is that neither of us lawyers was successful in getting our client appointed as administrator of the dead guy's estate. I'd told Client on the day Client gave me a retainer that this was the likliest outcome, and it will turn out best for the estate...and Client...in the end.

Then after 2 hours of traffic, I made it back to the office about 8pm at the frantic mandate of Partner C to spend 6.2 hours filing a big ugly bankruptcy petition and a set of first-day motions...seems that Partner C can no longer carry the interest of the board of directors of his client, and decided to pull the trigger before the schedules were ready. Time of petition filing: 1:10am. Time I got home: 2:38am.

Very tired.....but there's hope. Exciting news awaits release; it's just too soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a hideous, horrible, no good, extremely bad day that was. (I think there's a children's book that sounds a lot like that.) Glad my world is a little more contained than that. If you discover the key to living without sleep, please let me know what it is. I will agree to divulge the same information to you, should I discover it, as long as we don't have to memorialize anything in some complicated agreement with lots of little romanettes (sp?) in it. If we have to put it in a legal document, forget it. I don't think either of us are in shape to edit much of anything.

Anonymous said...

hee! yes, there is -- it's Alexander's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad day -- technically about, I think, a 5 year old, but just as applicable to the 25-year-olds!